The global market for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) expected to reach $12 billion by 2027, growing at CAGR 12.7% over the forecast period, driven by launch of premium-priced new therapies for CLL patients with high unmet needs.
- Moreover, factors such as rapid uptake of four new branded drugs, premium pricing for new branded drugs and high unmet needs are expected to drive overall market growth over the forecast period.
- The prevalence is forecast to reach some of the highest levels on record, largely due to the benefits of pharmacological treatments that prolong life leading to more patients living with the disease.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) or small lymphocytic lymphoma (SLL) is the most common form of leukemia in the Western world, but is significantly less frequent in Asia.
- CLL is the most prevalent adult lymphoid malignancy in the United States. National Cancer Institute estimates the number of new cases of chronic lymphocytic leukemia was 4.7 per 100,000 men and women per year.
- The American Cancer Society estimates about 20,940 new cases of chronic lymphocytic leukemia in the United States for 2018.
- The median age of diagnosis in the USA, Europe and Australia is approximately 70 years of age, with about one quarter of patients aged <65 years and approximately 6% less than 50 years.
The treatment paradigm for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia continues to move away from chemotherapy as more novel agents, including next-generation BTK and PI3K inhibitors, enter the landscape.
- Selected phase II and III pipeline molecules in development for CLL include Lenalidomide, Entospletinib (GS-9973), Olaptesed pegol (NOX-A12), Vismodegib, Sapacitabine, Umbralisib (TGR-1202), Vecabrutinib (SNS-062), Zanubrutinib (Brukinsa/BGB-3111), and Tirabrutinib (GS-4059/ONO-4059).
- Pipeline analysis by stage of development, drug target, mechanism of action (MoA), route of administration (RoA) and molecule type.
There are two general categories of systemic therapy used for CLL include chemotherapy and targeted therapy.
- The major types of chemo drugs most commonly used to treat CLL include Purine analogs: fludarabine (Fludara), pentostatin (Nipent), and cladribine (2-CdA, Leustatin). Alkylating agents: chlorambucil (Leukeran), bendamustine (Treanda), and cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan).
- Corticosteroids such as prednisone, methylprednisolone, and dexamethasone.
- Targeted therapy includes Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (BTK) inhibitor, Ibrutinib (Imbruvica); PI3K inhibitors – Idelalisib (Zydelig), Duvelisib (Copiktra); and Venetoclax (Venclexta).
- A number of monoclonal antibody drugs used to treat CLL target the CD20 antigen. These drugs include Rituximab (Rituxan), Obinutuzumab (Gazyva), Ofatumumab (Arzerra).
The global chronic lymphocytic leukemia market research report provides market size (revenue $million 2017 to 2027), market share analysis, growth trends and forecast (CAGR%, 2021 to 2027).
The global chronic lymphocytic leukemia drugs market segmented by drug class (product/brand) – chemotherapy agents [bendamustine (Treanda)], BTK/PI3K inhibitors [ibrutinib (Imbruvica), idelalisib (Zydelig), duvelisib (Copiktra/IPI-145)], BTK/BCL-2 inhibitors [venetoclax (Venclexta/ABT-199), acalabrutinib (Calquence/ACP-196)], monoclonal antibodies [obinutuzumab (Gazyva), ofatumumab (Arzerra), rituximab (Rituxan), ublituximab (TG-1101)], pipeline analysis [umbralisib (TGR-1202), vecabrutinib (SNS-062), zanubrutinib (Brukinsa/BGB-3111), tirabrutinib (GS-4059/ONO-4059)], and geography.
- The global CLL drugs market is defined by sales from branded drugs, including Rituxan (rituximab), Arzerra (ofatumumab), Treanda (bendamustine) and Gazyva (obinutuzumab).
- Imbruvica has a strong position across multiple indications and remains the clear market-share leader across all lines of therapy in CLL, including in new frontline CLL patients.
- It’s also promising for Gazyva revenues, which has been slow to build market share as a successor to Roche’s blockbuster Rituxan (rituximab) in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Arzerra was approved for the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia in 2009, but has only experienced modest uptake in Oncology.
The global CLL treatment market research report is further segmented by geography into North America (U.S., Canada), Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Rest of EU), Asia Pacific (Japan, China, India, Rest of APAC), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Rest of LA), and Rest of the World.
- Although there are more incident cases of CLL in the 5EU, the majority of sales were generated in the US (more than 50% of the global market) due to higher drug prices.
In addition, the global CLL market report provides the detailed market landscape (market drivers, restraints, and opportunities), market attractiveness analysis, and market profitability analysis by key products and regions or countries. The report also tracks the major competitors operating in the global market by company overview, financial snapshot, major products, technologies, services offered and recent developments.
Major competitors operating in the global chronic lymphocytic leukemia drugs market and profiled in this report include AbbVie, Inc., AstraZeneca plc, BeiGene, Ltd., Celgene Corporation, Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Gilead Sciences, Inc., Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc., MedImmune, LLC, MorphoSys AG, Novartis AG, Noxxon Pharma AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., and TG Therapeutics, Inc.
- Drug Class (Product/Brand)
- Chemotherapy Agents
- Bendamustine (Treanda)
- BTK/PI3K Inhibitors (Targeted)
- Ibrutinib (Imbruvica)
- Idelalisib (Zydelig)
- Duvelisib (Copiktra/IPI-145)
- BTK/BCL-2 Inhibitors (Selective)
- Venetoclax (Venclexta/ABT-199)
- Acalabrutinib (Calquence/ACP-196)
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Obinutuzumab (Gazyva)
- Ofatumumab (Arzerra)
- Rituximab (Rituxan)
- Ublituximab (TG-1101)
- Chemotherapy Agents
- Pipeline Analysis
- Umbralisib (TGR-1202)
- Vecabrutinib (SNS-062)
- Zanubrutinib (Brukinsa/BGB-3111)
- Tirabrutinib (GS-4059/ONO-4059)
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Rest of EU)
- Asia Pacific (Japan, China, India, Rest of APAC)
- Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Rest of LA)
- Rest of the World
- Company Profiles
- AbbVie, Inc.
- AstraZeneca plc
- BeiGene, Ltd.
- Celgene Corporation
- Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- MedImmune, LLC
- MorphoSys AG
- Novartis AG
- Noxxon Pharma AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- TG Therapeutics, Inc.
To request Table of Contents and Sample Pages of this report visit: